Sunday, April 17, 2011

Problems backing up VM with vRanger Pro

Here are the issues I have with vRanger PRO. v5.0.0

  • vRanger cannot back up the non “Raw Device Mappings” drives on SAN storage: I understood this and still placed the order even though 60% of our mission critical servers would not work with vRanger. However, I thought I can still use it to back up 40% of mission critical servers and the rest of non critical servers but there’re more issues…

  • vRanger is not a ‘out-of-box’ solution on application-level quiescing: well I had to spend extra time deploying ‘vzShadow.exe’ to all our servers running databases…it’s not the deal breaker yet.

  • vRanger does not support “File Level Restore” for the drives configured as GPT or dynamic. That mean I cannot restore any single file. This is the big problem. All our VM disks are configured as GPT and dynamic. If I could reformat all the disks, I would but I cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to add a user to multiple Microsoft Teams

Go to Microsoft Teams admin center Go to "Manage users" in Users and select the user to be added In Teams tab, click on "Add ...