Monday, September 12, 2011

My Upgrade: from WSS3.0 to SharePoint 2010 Foundation

This is my upgrade experience by using "Attach databases and upgrade to SharePoint 2010". It's quite straight forward but since it was my first time upgrading a farm and I had created two new OS so it took me two days to figure out.

Source:
Single WSS3.0 server on a Windows 2003 server, 32bit standard with embedded SQL.

Target:
WFE: SharePoint 2010 Foundation farm on Windows 2008 standard server, 64 bit.
Database: SQL 2008 SP2 (64 bit) on Windows 2008 standard server, 64 bit.

Steps I took:

1. Follow this article, Attach databases and upgrade to SharePoint Server 2010

 

Ran STSADM.EXE -o preupgradecheck first on source WSS server.

Ran into the first problem while installing SP2010. The error is "Cannot connect to database master at SQL server at <SQL_server_name>. The database might not exist, or the current user does not have permission to connect to it.



Then I made sure the followings..

  1. Both SharePoint and SQL ware assigned the static IP address, and SP server can PING SQL and DC without problem

  2. Enable 'dbcreator' and 'securityadmin' Server Roles for the SP admin in Security/Logins in SQL Server Management Studio.

  3. Enable TCP/IP in "Protocols for MSSQLSERVER"






2. I got the new SharePoint set up without problem and I could browse to the default home page at port 80, but what I needed was the restored content database instead of a blank new site. So I went to "Manage Content Databases" in the Central Administration and deleted the default WSS_Content database, and deleted the WSS_Content SQL database from SQL management studio.

3. Run Mount contentt database command again below.
Mount-SPContentDatabase -Name <DatabaseName> -DatabaseServer <ServerName> -WebApplication <URL>

It went ok with the message below. Then I was able to see the "WSS_Restored" was created in my content database page.


4. Try to browse to the SharePoint website and all my old WSS3.0 root site shown ok, but not the subsites.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Solution: The size of the extent is less than the minimum in VMware

 I ran out the C drive space in a Windows 10 virtual machine in VMware. However, after adding additional free disk space, the "Extend&q...