Monday, June 20, 2011

Configure MX record on 1and1.com and GoDaddy.com

Once I got my Exchange 2010 set up in my lab, the next exciting thing would be sending/receiving emails testing from the external domains. The outgoing email was pretty straight forward to set up once the 'send connector' was configured and it worked right away.

 

I was not sure about the incoming emails and MX records setup at the first place because the domain name of my lab is an internal domain name only. I decided to use two of my personal domains to be the accepted domains in Exchange and messed around the MX record/DNS settings.

 

My first personal domain is hosted by GoDaddy and the other one is hosted by 1and1.com.

 

GoDaddy
The MX record setup with GoDaddy was a breeze. Here are the steps I've taken:

  1. Log in GoDaddy account

  2. Click "My Account" on navigation bar.

  3. Click "Domains/Domain Manager" on the left

  4. Click the proper domain name

  5. Click 'Launch' under DNS Manager.

  6. Create a new A (Host) record, 'mail' and pointed it to my Exchange server. Leave everything else untouched.

  7. Create a MX record with the name, 'mail.<my_personal_domian1>.info' and give it the first priority order, 0. Lease the default MX record intact.

  8. Save it.

  9. It took no time before I was successfully receive my first test email from outside to the email address, xxx@<my_personal_domain1>.info.


 

1and1.com
My experience setting up MX record with 1and1 was not as good as GoDaddy because it costed me one support email to make it works.

  1. First I needed to create a sub domain for my email server as the MX record. I named it 'mail.<my_personal_domain2>.net'. (This is the part I got help from 1and1.com).

  2. Modified the A-Record for my sub domain to point it to my Exchange server.

  3. Then I went back to the DNS setting for the top-level domain name and added the sub domain name as the first MX record.

  4. Then I was able to receive the test email to xxx@<my_personal_domain2>.net shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to add a user to multiple Microsoft Teams

Go to Microsoft Teams admin center Go to "Manage users" in Users and select the user to be added In Teams tab, click on "Add ...